Saturday, April 28, 2012

This I Believe... Video Reflection

We were asked to make a video about what we believe in pertaining to teaching, learning, and education. I wrote mine about a current situation that I was experiencing through the eyes of my visually impaired sister. Jessica was experiencing some problems with a teacher adapting to her learning style and I reflected on the fact that I believe teachers need to format their classroom to fit their students learning styles and not force their students to conform their teaching styles.

Through this project, I discovered exactly what type of teacher I wanted to be. I want to be the teacher that encourages their students to learn; that does the best she can to help them experience new ways of learning; and teach the class that students' can't wait to come to and don't want to leave. This project made me reflect on my own experiences in my favorite classes. And it made me think that I want to be just like some of my favorite teachers. Ironically, all my favorite teachers taught history classes, just like I will. I also discovered, that through the experiences in my favorite history classes, I was being taught how to teach. I know that I want to have interactive classrooms just like my favorite teachers had and I want my students to love learning. I learned a whole lot more than I thought I ever had in those humanities classes. Not only did I learn the material, but I learned exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

And not only did I discover a lot about myself and why I want to become a teacher in the first place, but I also had a lot of fun doing it. I use Windows Live Movie Maker alot to make videos for my friends. I usually pick a song that remind me of them and some pictures to go along with it and create a fun video of them, but this time the video was for school. And although it wasn't as fun as making music videos for my besties, it had its perks. I got to learn about myself while doing it as well as make something that I love to make.

It was actually in my English class, which was also taught by my favorite History teacher in Junior High School, that I was introduced to Movie Maker. The project was to create a movie with music that describes you and pictures. It was supposed to be a way to get to know everyone in the classroom, during the first few weeks of school. I remember sitting there, watching everyone's videos and thinking how cool it was to see people through their own eyes. Now, I think I'd love to do the same thing in my classroom. Not only is it fun, but it is an easy way to get to know people ... as they see themselves. And it beats doing icebreakers all the time.

I loved this project. I got to know who I am, who I want to be, all while I was creating something that I loved to do in my free time. BEST PROJECT EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment